SC - Strawberries

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Jun 18 16:09:39 PDT 1997

meliora,

i have this book and find it an excellent visual source for how things
should look and for identifying period ingredients.  i do not have the
book at hand at the moment, but my memory is that no original recipes are
given, and that most of the redactions were questionable at best.

do the cookies use baking powder or baking soda?  if so, they are right
out!  if they use only leavening from highly beaten eggs, like an
Elizabethan 'biscuit bread' then they may be okay.  another alternative
might be Digby's "Excellent Small Cakes" - although they are 17th century.
I can post the recipe if you would like it.

elaina