SC - Medlars anyone?

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 15:25:34 PDT 1997

                    I tried both wax paper and foil, and it stuck to both of
  them, to the point that I couldn't pull it off. What should I have used
  instead? The redaction says "kitchen parchment". What is it?

Margritte, parchment is a type of "paper" that is relatively burn proof, and
is frequently used in baking.  (For example, baked fish or chicken in
parchment, with herbs, are WONDEROUS).

The solution (I expect: and have used) is to grease the paper heavily.

  	Modern gingerbread uses flour as a thickener, but in the Middle
  Ages, either bread crumbs or ground almonds would have been used.

Hmmm.  Just to nitpick for a second, I would not say that modern gingerbread
uses flour as a thickener... it is used as an ingredient, including the
steps where it forms gluten, and makes a rising dough.

  	Gingerbread was one of the most popular confections of the Middle
  Ages. It was often sold at fairs, molded into gingerbread men. Likewise, it
  was also served at nobles' high tables, carefully sculpted and gilded with
  real gold.

Not doubting you in the slightest, but source, please?  I'd like to know
more.

I've found that coarse gingerbread (in the medieval fashion) is a "pick it
up and work it with your hands" kind of material.  Dust them with
confectioners sugar.

This is probably a good time to remind people that modern confectioners
sugar is adulterated with non-period ingredients, generally.

	Tibor