SC - Feast Themes-Feast of Illusion (long)

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Jun 20 11:04:59 PDT 1997

> From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:32:00 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: SC - Edible Flowers

*snip for brevity*

> Unbelievably mild.  In combination with even the dullest blanc mange, the
> flavor of the carnation would be lost.
>
>         Tibor (Herbivore)
>
> ------------------------------

I had a clump of carnations in a pot I'd grown from seed with no
fertilizer or pesticide, the... um... something Knight variety. The
flowers ranged from a light pink through deep red. Out of curiosity one
day, I popped a bloom out of its green sheath and bit the frilled ends
off.  Mild, yes, peppery, with a little clove hint.

Now, for a peppery flower, go for a nasturtium!

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Marisa Herzog" <marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu>
> Date: 20 Jun 1997 09:30:37 -0700
> Subject: Re: SC - Edible Flowers
>
>                       RE>>SC - Edible Flowers                      6/20/97
>

> Carnations are related to pinks/dianthus and sweet-williams, which were
> refered to as "gilly flowers" in the middle ages.  They are edible and show up
> in period recipes, especially sweets.  According to recipes and herb books
> they are supposed to have a slight clove flavor.  They are pictured in many
> borders of illuminations.  Note for using flowers (if people don't already
> know) pinch off the white part at the base of petals, as this is bitter and a
> little nasty tasting.

I've noticed over the course of buying the occasional bunch of flowers
for my husband (he blushes so nicely and loves the attention!) that
commercially grown carnations are scentless, except for the white ones.
Not that I would dream of using a commercially grown flower for
consumption, because of growth chemicals and pesticides... the point
being, might that be a modern distinction bred into carnations? Does
this distinction only apply to commercial carnations, bred for long
stems, bloom longevity and (for the most part) single colored?

ciorstan
(who is a complete period cooking newbie and fascinated by the
conversations as she's lurked for the last week or so...)