SC - Sweeteners

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 21 06:21:37 PDT 1997

At 8:42 PM -0500 6/20/97, Margritte wrote:

>That information is actually distilled from several sources, but most of
>the books I used are already back at the library (see bibliography at the
>end of my previous post). I was able to dig up some of my xeroxes, though.
>
>>From _The Complete Book of Gingerbread_, by Valerie Barrett, pp 16-17:
>	"The medieval version of gingerbread would be unrecognizable today.
>Bread crumbs tossed with honey and spices were dried out or baked into
>hard, crumbly, flat cakes.

That passage doesn't give me much confidence in the secondary source. I
can't prove that what she describes wasn't made, but the standard recipe in
the English 14th and 15th c. sources doesn't fit either of her
descriptions--it wasn't "dried out," it wasn't "tossed with," and it wasn't
baked.

>"while white gingerbread was actually
>ginger-flavored marzipan."

Has anyone found any medieval recipes that fit this description--as opposed
to 16th or 17th century ones?

Do you remember if she says what her sources were?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/