SC - Strawberries

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 04:54:55 PDT 1997

The modern receipes I've seen that substitute apple juice for sugar also
reduce the amount of liquid in the receipe.  I can't find anything at the
moment that gives the proportions, but you should be able to find them in
health-food cookbooks published in the last few years.

When I was pregnant, I was told that honey contains a bacteria (? or
something - it's been a _long_ time!) that the human digestive system can't
protect against before approximately one year old.  Babies should _not_ be
given honey or products made with honey until they'e at least a year old.

Since honey and sugar are both processed by the digestive system as sugars,
the only reason I know to substitute one for the other is to change the taste
of the food.  Honey gives foods a very different taste than sugar and
incidentally can change the color of very light foods like custards to a nice
caramel instead of white.  I've found that different honeys will give
different flavors - depending on whether they're dark or light, and what the
flower source was.  If you do substitute for sugar, you may need to reduce
the other liquids in the receipe slightly.  Also, use slightly less honey
than the called-for sugar, since it's sweeter.  If you mix the honey with the
other liquids in the receipe before adding to the dry ingredients, it will
blend in better.

               - Verena
                     vearley at aol.com