SC - Epicious (sp?) and decedent roman feasts....adendum

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 23 09:19:41 PDT 1997

                      RE>SC - edible flowers                       6/23/97

many modern flowers have had certain traits bred out of them, for instance
modern merigolds are less smelly now(to make them nicer for people) which
unfortunately means they no longer repel garden pests as much as they used to,
so it is entirely possible that an "heirloom" carnation variety might have
more flavor as well as sent.  The dianthus/pinks, and sweet williams- not
being as popular a commercial cut flower, might have more old fashioned traits
left to them.  Shall we all take a moment to stop and chew the flowers as well
as sniff them?  Taste test anybody?  When I go home I will once again make
m'lord husband stand and shake his head in confusion as I taste the flowers in
my garden rather than the veggies!
The Rennaisance Painters/Cooks had an illustration of nasturtiums that I
thought was noted as 16thC, but I don't have the book in front of me anymore,
so I can't check.