SC - black puddings

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Jun 26 09:39:20 PDT 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Does anyone have experience cooking barley for large numbers of people?

I have made frumenty outside for about 100 people.  Did it at a camping
event three years ago.  I did not make a 'savory' frumenty with broth
but a plain frumenty cooked in milk.  we served it with cream and
strawberries.  i know this is not traditional, but the cooking should
be fairly similar.  doing it in broth may actually be easier.

i used cracked wheat rather than barley, and the trick was to warm the
liquid through before adding the grain and then keep stirring without
a stop (three people, almost two hours) and keep the heat steady - not
too hot, but not let it cool off.

the resulting porridge was indeed brown and gloppy, but, sweetened with a
little honey, tasted marvelous.

let me know if you need anything more specific.  and oh, i used a double
bottomed stock pot filled about 3/4 full and a very large wooden spoon for
stirring.

elaina