SC - Foods that I won't eat

KandL Johnston woodrose at malvern.starway.net.au
Sat Jun 28 18:11:58 PDT 1997

At 10:38 PM -0700 6/26/97, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
Maeve suggested a quick boil then sit aside to let
>it absorbe the rest of the liquid...that might work. I'll try it in a
>small test batch with my crummiest pot to duplicate the conditions as
>best I can :).

Our standard way of making rice in quantity (i.e., 3 to 5 gallons) is to
bring the water to a boil (having previously tested that variety of rice to
get an idea what the water-to-rice ratio is), add the rice, bring back to a
boil while stirring, cover, and remove from heat; let sit 20-30 minutes and
it is done.  You may be able to scrounge lids for your pots--find large
platters or frying pans that would do--and wrap old towels around and over
to insulate, since you are cooking outdoors.  The once we did a larger
quantity--a 9-gallon pot, nearly full-- it was too much; the stuff at the
bottom was squished down into a solid mass by the weight on top.  We
haven't tried this for frumenty.

Betty Cook/Elizabeth

David Friedman
Professor of Law