SC - mustard history

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Jun 29 10:51:09 PDT 1997

Any comments on the recent article by Edythe Preet ( LA Times syndicate) that
said:

"In the Middle Ages, mustard was a fixture on every table.  It disguised the rank
taste of spoiled food and camouflaged the immense amount of salt used to
preserve meat.  The small seeds, crushed into powder, were mixed with the
leavings of wine - grape must.  Hence the name for this mixture is much the
same in most European languages...  When made by those who did not have
access to wine, mustard powder was mixed with vinegar.  Honey was often added
to minimize its sharpness."

I like mustard but I don't often see it at feasts.  Was it really as ubiquitous as the
above makes it sound?

Linneah