SC - Mediterranean Feast

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 3 14:29:58 PDT 1997

I grew them as a project this year to see how they would do in our somewhat
warm and humid climate (Central Ansteorra) but got them into the ground
late for a heavy crop.  They are still producing so I will have a small but
hearty seed crop for next year, since I started with just a few.  There is
not as much information on growing them as regular dry beans or green
beans.  Most of what I found were British publications.  They are a very
pretty plant -- the flowers are white and purplish black. I have a couple
of catalogs at home that sell seeds if you want to try them.  Taste wise
the dry beans have a floury texture, I like.  There are several Roman
recipes featuring favas that are very good so you might check them out.
        You can get fava beans at health food stores as well as  specialty
and eastern markets.

Clare St. John