SC - Sugar, Flour and Bread (Longwinded;)

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:14:59 PDT 1997

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook wrote:
> What we have found so far for bread recipes includes:
>
> 1. Rastons, from Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (English)....
>
> 2. Platina's description of how to make bread (15th c. Italian)....
>
> 3. Chapatis, from a 16th-century Indian book....
>
> So far, that is it for recipes....

If we're going far enough afield to include both rastons and chapatis,
I think we can include some other yeast-raised recipes from the
Andalusian sources.  Cariadoc/David posted a few of these, notably the
famous "pile of pancakes bread" (whose Arabic name I've forgotten).  I
would point out also the dish "muqawwara", which is a yeast-raised
bread dough, of either semolina or ordinary flour, moistened with milk
and egg yolks (IIRC, the 13c. original recipe says 15 egg yolks per
pound of flour), which is shaped into a disk and pan-fried on both
sides.  Of course, it is then further abused in a manner reminiscent of
Rastons: you cut out the middle, crumble the crumbs, mix them with
chopped almonds and pistachios, and refill the cavity with crumbs in
alternating layers with sugar and melted butter.  It's in my T.I.
article, which is on Greg Lindahl's SCA cookery page as well as at
"http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/".

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu