SC - barbecue beans

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 06:38:40 PDT 1997

<< This sounds like someone's
 redaction rather than a translation. For instance, are kidney beans
 period for pre-17th century Europe? It was my understanding from listening
 to various people that they weren't.  >>
I agree, however, I have come across some INTERESTING information while
trying to research Duke Coradoc's pea question which may or may not be useful
or may open up a wjole new can of worms. :-)

I found reference to a bean which is very similar to navy beans. It's name is
Vigna sinensis. It looks like a green bean but the pod is less fleshy and
hugs the beans that are inside, They are about the same size and shape navy
beans but come in many colors. They are a NATIVE of Asia! We call them
cowpeas.

They have been in cultivation for over 2000 yrs, in southeastern Asia where
several other "period" vegies originated. Could it be remotely possible that
the period recipes which refer specifically to "field peas" or even more
remotely that these could have been the beans that are referred to? Would
this have explained the rapid use of New World beans because New world beans
looked so very much like these and were superior in flavor?

Still researching. If anyone has any information on this species, please let
me know. Thanks.

Lord Ras (Uduido at aol.com)