SC - smoked sausage and meats

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Jun 9 12:07:21 PDT 1997

Earlier today, Monday, June 9, Aelfthrythe of Saxony replied to my
questions about sausage making:

4: When I made the liver kromeskis by themselves, I made them the size of
my little finger, about 4 cm long and about 1.5 cm wide. I have in my
possesion one of the best aniversary presents any-one has ever given me,
that being a small smoke box.(you can pick them up in hardware stores.)
You sprinkle wood chips on the bottom and light a little container of metho
underneath. It takes 20 minutes for all the metho to burn out, you then leave
the box till it's cold and your sausages are done.For the liver/brain
sausage I gave it twice as long. To know when it's smoked long enough is
really a matter of trial and error and how smoke flavoured you like your
sausages.
<<<<<<

I donÕt think you have quite answered my last question although I do
appreciate the detailed answer on this question and the others. My
question may be better stated as: ÒSince the primary purpose of smoking
the meat or sausage is to preserve it, how long do I need to smoke it
before I know it will keep and be safe to eat sometime in the future?Ó

Yes, I know meat is often smoked for taste, but I want to know how long
I need to smoke it to preserve it.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  markh at risc.sps.mot.com