SC - Period Recipes

Tue Jun 10 08:11:58 PDT 1997

  And perhaps I'm missing the boat but isn't the 1500's part of the time period
  we are reconstructing?  If so, what is wrong with using New World ingredients
  that were introduced and used during that time?

Personal opinion:

>From my reading, it appears to me that modern cookery is somewhat different
from medieval cookery in small ways, and that modern cookery took its
current form, primarily, in the middle of the 1500s (depending upon where
you look).

I don't do the SCA to do modern things.  Therefore, I don't do modern
cookery as an SCA thing.  New World ingredients, to me, just aren't period
cookery.  It isn't the kind of fun I want to have.  I don't want to have
Pizza and Corn Chips at events, even if you COULD document them.  (And that
is the principal difference between me and so many.  I don't WANT fried
chicken, biscuits and gravy, with green and black eyed peas, even though
you CAN document a lot of it.)  That's for the weekdays.

	Tibor