SC - Liqueurs

Sharon L. Harrett afn24101 at afn.org
Tue Jun 10 11:56:46 PDT 1997

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know a similar subject was on this list just a couple of weeks ago but I was
> wondering about the history of liqueurs.
>
> I'm thinking of making up some rose and lilac liqueurs for gifts and as an A&S
> entry.  I don't think they are period but I was wondering if there were similar
> things and if anyone knows when liqueurs began.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

M'Lord Gunthar,
	The history of liqueurs goes back to around the 12th C., beginning
with the discovery that distillation could separate two liquids. Wine was
distilled to produce "aqua vitae", meaning water of life. This in turn began
to be used to produce medicinal liqueurs, some of which are mentioned in Sir
Hugh Plat's Secrets in Distillation, and others in Sir Kenelme Digbie's book
on Chirurgerie. Chartreuse Liqueur is probably the best known of those with
their roots in period. As far as the flowers go, I have many instances of
distilling "flower waters" for use in flavoring, cosmetics, and for washing
hands at table, but so far none for drinkables, although some of the
medicinal recipes do *include* various flowers.

Ceridwen