SC - meringue

John FOX johnlfox at pnc.com.au
Fri Jun 13 22:32:09 PDT 1997

- ----------
Stephen Bloch <sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu> wrote
> If you hear about any, please let me know.  Meringue recipes seem to be
> conspicuous by their absence: we know that medieval people separated
> eggs, we know that they beat eggs (sorta -- it's usually described as
> "draw them through a strainer"), and we know that medieval cooks built
> sculpture and illusion foods, for which meringue would seem ideally
> suited.  But I don't know of any recipes for it.

I have seen a recipe in the book "Elanore Fettiplace's Recipt Book" by
Hilary Spurling.  The book dates from medieval times, recipes having been
passed through the hands of the females of the family to the author who
published it.  The recipe is for 'white bisket bread'

To make white bisket bread
Take a pound and a half of sugar, and a handful of fine white flower, the
whites of twelve eggs, beaten verie finelie, and a little aniseed brused,
temper this all together till it bee no thicker than pap, make coffins with
paper, and put them in the oven, after a manchet is drawen.

That's it (for what it's worth).  If anybody has comments on this recipe
and it's authenticity, I would be pleased to hear them.

Jean le Renard de Pyranees
Shire of Dismal Fogs
Principality of Rowany
Kingdom of the West.