SC - Re: turnips

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 17 07:54:21 PDT 1997

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote, re armoured turnips:

> FYI, around here people use the precooked and diced frozen turnips, and
> mozarella cheese.  It seems to work rather well that way, too.  So, I
> suspect, it isn't critical what cheese to use.
>
>         Tibor

Hmmmm. Certainly that would work quite well for bulk-sized presentations
(i.e. events). It might be interesting to experiment with some other
Italian cheeses, since the recipe specifies something like "a rich
cheese, aged not too long" or some such. To me this implies something in
between mozzarella and cheddar with regard to sale age. Taleggio,
perhaps, which is an Italian variant on Brie? I also assume the type of
cheese isn't critical, or it would have been specified.

Another aspect I was curious about: I've never seen precooked and diced
frozen turnips, at least not the white turnip I believe the recipe calls
for. I have seen frozen rutabega in various forms. Forgive this current
tendency toward existentialism, but we aren't talking about rutabegas,
are we? I assume they would work fairly well for most criteria, but...

Interesting link here, BTW, between this dish and the various cheesy
gratins traditional in the south of France even today. I had mentioned
them in connection with Swiss chard, IIRC.

Adamantius