SC - Grains of paradise

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Jun 22 06:15:22 PDT 1997

denton at microtech.com.au wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>    Yet another question for all those more knowledgeable than myself.
[snip]
> all that time I have never used a recipe that required Grains of
> Paradise.  Until now... I am faced with a recipe requiring me to
> grind some Grains of Paradise, and (forgive me for sounding totally
> stupid)  I have not the foggiest idea what they are and what they
> look like.  Are they a spice or a herb?

Checking my supply, I can't say if they are spice/herb -- they appear
to be small dark seeds with an aroma that reminds me of anise.  One
ounce seems to be about 8 Tablespoons.

>                                          Can some wise veteran cook
> please tell me what a Grain of Paradise is and give me an idea of
> what sort of shop I can get them from?

This ingredient, as well as many other Medieval herbs and spices may be
ordered from
	The Pepper's Guild
	c/o David Chesterton
	777 N. Greenbriar Drive
	Orange, CT  06477

	dchesty at ix.netcom.com

Some selected items (items that I don't see in the supermarket) from
his 55 item price list:
	Angelica Root
	Clary
	Comfrey Root
	Cubebs
	Elderflowers
	Galengale
	Grains of Paradise
	Sanders
	Tansy
	Poudre Forte

Prices vary, many are at about $1.00 per ounce; Angelica is $1.30,
Clary is $3.00, Grains of Paradise is $1.30, Sanders is $1.15.  Orders
he receives by June 30 will be shipped July 1.  You need to add at
least $2.00 for shipping and if you don't have time to get a complete
price list, I would add $2.00 to $4.00 to cover price variations and
let him refund the difference to you.

> Apologies for my ignorance.

Please, anyone who knows when to ask a question demonstrates
wisdom not ignorance.

> -Sianan

I am,
Vinchenzio Martinus di Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

- --
Martin G. Diehl

Sig under construction
Home page not even started, PENNSIC comes^H^H^H^H^Hcame first!