SC - Epicious (sp?) and decedent roman feasts....

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 23 09:15:49 PDT 1997

>  It is called, properly, something like "Apicius De Re
> Quoquinaria", and whether anybody named Apicius is tha actual author
> is
> in some question. Probably the best English translation is by Barbara
> Flower and Elizabeth Rosenbaum, done in the late 1950's.

The original title, quoted from the above text, is _Artis Magiricae_.
Indeed credited to Apicius and speculatively so.  There is a fine
treatment on the Apicius text called _A Taste of Ancient Rome_ by Ilaria
Gozzini Giacosa (translated by Anna Herklotz).  It is a useful mix  of
translation, commentary, and redaction.  The redactions are well
explained and seem to make sense, a feat in itself.  There are also
sections on Banquets, menus, beverages, and food sources.  I have found
it a useful source for 'Apician' cookery.

> The Flower and Rosenbaum Apicius translation includes sections on the
> making of such things as amulum (amydoun to you medieval folks),
> cheese,
> bread (I think), wine, and the ubiquitous aged fish sauce called
> liquamen or garum. These sections are based on works by people like
> Cato
> the Elder, Columella, and Pliny the Elder.

As does Giacosa.  Both are good  references on the same primary (?)
text.  I am still in quest of other Roman quisine treatments.  I've
found a couple ancient Greek books that I am reviewing, but thise won't
be quite the same (though there will be some similarity).  I'll post my
findings when I'm finished reading them.

> Interestingly enough, I just happened to run acros an Asian market
> that
> sells little plastic trays of duck and goose tongues, not to mention
> various other unmentionables. We're a pretty adventurous bunch where I
>
> live, so who knows?
>
> Adamantius

  But just who would be tasting whom?!

- --