SC - Re: Roman Roasts

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Tue Jun 24 19:42:30 PDT 1997

>Naughty Aoife! Points off for documentation after the fact. Any more of
>that roast left?
>
>Adamantius

Sheesh. A gal can't get away from you. I try posting from work on
rec.food.historic--incognito, or so I thought, but nooooooooo. Are you
stalking me? <<grin>>

Actually, there's a funny answer to that question. I buy all my feast
ingredients at a restaurant supply house.  At the event, when I went into
the walk-in to find the case of ricotta for the White Torta, I opened the
box and found beef!!!!!! "Oh Crap" I say to myself."I promised them
cheesecake. How am I going to get myself out of this one?" After a while I
realised that it was a huuuuge honking box of beef. At least 50 lbs. worth:
a loin and a top round, and some mixed burger thrown in for good measure. So
here I am wondering This: " If I shove enough beef under their noses, will
they notice the absence of the cheesecake?" Hours later I open my half case
of lemons and find (you guessed it) my ricotta in amongst the lemons. Yes,
you got it folks. They put the beef in my ricotta box and my ricotta in with
the lemons. I am mow the proud recipient of free beef (but I didn't know it
at the time). Since we came in and turned the walk-in on, I know it came
with me. However, I had also sat and checked off the boxes as they were
loaded in my van at the restaurant supply. No mistakes were made. No phone
calls wondering where the beef was. I called them to ask if they had made a
mistake with my order, and they said NO.  They were sure. "What to do, what
to do? Hey, I have some of that leftover spice mix, and I have a cooking
demo to do for that Living History Timeline at French Azilum"
(6/28-29---this saturday, folks!). Voila! Feast for re-enactors, demo for
the public, lots 'o scrumptous meat.

So, in essence, the answer is YES. There's some left, and you can have some
by showing up at French Azilum, a national Historic Site (Bradford County
PA, just off Route 6) this Saturday.

Aoife.

BTW, for those history buffs wondering what French Azilum is:

It's a national historic site at the homestead of the descendants of French
Aristocrats who fled  France when the Aristocracy was no longer welcome.
They built this cozy little log cabin town in a loop of the Susquehanna
river (protected on three sides by water. Even some of the colonists were
anti-royalists), and sat down to wait for Marie Antoinette, who dithered
about coming till they took her head off. This site is the source of the
rumors that the Dauphin actually made it to the Colonies and became a
back-woodsman.

They continued to wear their fine parisian fashions (and froze). They
wallpapered their rough hewn log cabins and furnished them with stained
glass, and inlaid chests, and porcelain, etc. Here they lived in relative
comfort for a few years, paying to have everything done for them, until the
money ran out. The local indians (whose land they had "purchased" from a
slick philadelphia tycoon) took pity and taught them how to farm, make maple
syrup, log, etc. until Napoleon Bonapart granted them the right to return to
France and claim their ancestral lands in return for their support. Many did
return, but the area is peppered with french names and place-names.

Here endeth the History Lesson.