SC - edible flowers and pickles

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 15:06:18 PDT 1997

I just came across two recipes in my wanderings.  _A New Booke of Cookerie_
by John Murrell 1615.  Falconwood press.  No redactions yet, but see if they
help.

A Sallet of Rose-Buds, and clove Gilly-flowers

PIcke Rosebuds, and put them into an earthen Pipkin, with white Wine-vinegar
and Sugar: so you may use Cowslippes, Violets, or Rosemary flowers.

To keep greene Cucembers all the yeere

Cut sixe Cucumbers in pieces, boile them in Spring-water, Sugar and Oyll, a
walme or two.  Take them up and let your picke stand until it be cold.

To keepe Brome Capers

Boyle the greates and hardest buds of Brome, in Wine-vinegar, and Bay Salt;
scum it cleane: when it is colde you may put in Raw ones also, each by
themselves: put in a piece of Lead on the raw ones: for all that swim will be
blacke, and the other that are pressed downe as greene as any Leeke.  The
boyld ones will change colour.

Aldyth