SC - Frumenty for the masses, continued

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 29 01:29:17 PDT 1997

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Elizabeth tells us how they make rice, and suggests it might work for barley.
>
> I'm wondering, though, how that works then for the final stage of
> stirring in the egg yolks. You'd need to stir the big pot of stuff over
> heat and make sure all the egg set, but that the stuff didn't burn. Hmmm...
>
> Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!
> --Anne-Marie

Another possibility is to make a stirred, unsweetened custard with the
egg yolks and some portion of the total liquid. You could add your
saffron to it, too. When your grain is 90% cooked and still hot, and
your custard is still warm, you can begin stirring the grain into the
custard, a little at a time, until they're fully combined. Then cover
the stuff and leave it to finish cooking in its residual heat. This may
take a little extra management of pots and pans, but it should preclude
burning. I don't think, given the proportion of egg yolks to grain, that
there would be a significant difference in the final texture just
because you don't have the structural support offered by a baked or
unstirred custard.

Adamantius