SC - period seed sources

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Mon Jun 2 13:21:35 PDT 1997

Michael Farrell writes:
> If you are interested in period plants you should try registering yourself
on
> the seed savers exchange.  They carry tons of heirloom varieties of all
kinds
> of stuff.  Incidentally barter isn't only allowed, it is actively
encouraged.
>  They would be a good source for anything period that has fallen out of
> common usage.  Good luck,

And Dagonell asks:
>I would be highly interested.  Contact info please?  I just tilled up the
>garden Memorial Day Weekend, 35' x 40'.

I just searched my seeds-msg file and didn't find specifically "seed savers
exchange" but there apparently are several such groups. as evidenced by
this partial list of flax seed suppliers in one of the messages in this
file:

Suppliers of flax seeds for fibre:

Abundant life seed Foundation,
P.O. Box 772
Port Townsend
Washington 98368
(Variety = 'cascade')

Landis Valley Museum Heritage Seed Project
2451 Kissel Hill Road,
Lancaster,
Pennsylvania 17601
(Variety = 'Ariane')

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange,
P.O. Box158,
North Garden,
Virginia 22959
(varietys =  'Ariane' and 'Norfolk Queen')

These places may have more seeds than just those for flax.

This file does have a number of other period seed sources mentioned,
commercial and otherwise, so those interested in sources might want to
look in my seeds-msg file in my SCA Rialto Files.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com