SC - All members

Donna J. White skunkkiller at juno.com
Tue Jun 3 21:17:40 PDT 1997

WARNING -- unless you really want my opinion, please don't proceed.  I
don't want nasty mail saying I offended anyone.  I don't intend to, even
in the slightest.  I am merely offering my opinion on how we should take
care with the way we present ourselves to those who don't know us from
"Adam."

As a list member who has learned to keep her mouth shut due to her
rebellious views on creativity and the variously "rabid" responses she
has received over the last few months when she expresses her views, I can
attest to the "ferocity" with which of some of this list's subscribers
defend their period preference.  I am not here to bemoan or judge, but to
commend Sir Gunthar in his bold statement that strikes to the very heart
of the SCA's existence -- Without new people and their ideas, we cannot
continue to exist.  "Stagnant ponds never flourish with anything except
bacteria."

Now, before anyone gets their garters in a twist over my statements,
please understand that I have honored all those who do not like the
reformist attitude and send my honest regards.  I am simply stating that
the asbestos undergarments that have been offered me by some of the more
understanding members has lengthened my time on this list.  WIthout them,
I would have left very quickly.  However, if you will have noticed, I
have stayed out of most discussions on this list recently.  Not because I
have ignored my mail, however.  Quite on the contrary, I have been avidly
reading every message.  I have simply tried to limit my responses to a
few who have been friendly and have sent the bulk of my messages over
personal lines.

Sir Gunthar is quite correct to admonish all of us (me included) to be
more open to EVERY member of this list and not be so overly concerned
with accuracy that we overlook the true meaning of this list --
fellowship and sharing of ideas.  Someone once said (on this list, as a
matter of fact) that over these electronic lines of communication much of
the personal nature of communication is lost.  The reader of a message
cannot distinguish the intended tone of a letter without some hint from
the writer.  I want everyone to understand my message very clearly . . .
I mean no ill will toward anyone.  I only want to be a part of a greater
whole that gives unselfishly to the mundane world.  We offer fellowship,
entertainment, opportunity, education, and commrarderie -- among other
things.  We should be as gracious with our members whose ideas do not
jive exactly with ours as we would a stranger seeing our organization for
the first time.  We should strive to do this every time.  And while we
may not mean any harm, much is done through what may appear to be
"inquests" based on one's desire to be perfectly period.  I chose to be
modernly period, thank you.  You are certainly entitled to make the SCA
whatever best suits your personality and tastes.  Please grant me, and
this young lady,  the same.

I entreat her, and others like her, to remain and listen.  Once in a
while there is a string of conversation that offers no hardship for those
of us in the Society for enjoyment and entertainment.  Please stay.
Whatever bits of information you may pick up that suit your desired style
of membership are helpful in fending off zealous questions.  Most
inquisitors are not meaning to be overbearing and only interested in
further insight for themselves.  None of us could ever know everything
about the period without first living through it.  Since that won't be
happening without time travel, and even not then, a little artistic
license is certainly allowed and encouraged.  Try to think of those
asking for documentation as curious, not demeaning.  If nothing else,
tell them the truth -- "Although I appreciate your enthusiasm for
authenticity, I chose to spend my time with the Society relaxed.  My work
is stressful enough without adding gray hairs over documentation.  If you
has some you would like to share, however, I would certainly be
interested."  This pony line has never failed me (except once and that
person doesn't count in my book.  She was a laurel who had the
personality of a dead fish -- not very appealing to say the least.)
<BWG&G -- Big Wide Grin & a Giggle>

If I have offended anyone, I truly apologize.  I have meant no offense to
anyone.  To each his or her own is my SCA motto.  "C'est la vie and pass
the ketchup . . . the haggis needs some flavor." (: ^ b   (Except for
Lord Ras's . . . or was it Lord Adamantius [ Adam*Ant* E* Us -- a punk
rocker, perhaps?  : )] . . . I am sure it was perfect!!!!!!!)

Sincerely, mischievously and without malice of any sort,

Genevieve de Vaux
The Skunk Killer of Emerald Keep