SC - coloring cheese?

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 4 07:43:15 PDT 1997

I didn't think so either... I mean I knew they colored cheese but didn't
know everything they used... when I pulled the sope recipe this morning
from Good Huswife's Jewel(1596) I saw the note on a different page stuck in
the middle of how to preserve apples and what makes a good pig.  It makes
sense since vast quantities of saffron were grown around Saffron-on-Waldon
(hence the name)  I make soft cheese so next time I make some I'm going to
try it.  I haven't tried marigolds either but will try a batch with that as
coloring. Does anyone else know what coloring agents were used?

Clare St. John