SC - Period Recipes

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jun 5 08:00:45 PDT 1997

> I do agree that there is this attitude. I have sometimes been guilty of
> it. (mea culpa mea culpa).  In Ansteorra, it has been a long hard road
> preparing and serving period feasts.  There is a large 'meat and potato'
> mentality and changing/expanding people's palates here has been hard
> work.  We have progressed!  Tho is still saddens me when people tell me
> how wonderful a feast is and it consists of steak, baked potatoes and
> corn on the cob!

There's hope though.  I have recieved a great many compliments for the period
dishes that I have served at feast.  We're winning over the gastronomic wimps!

> I had hoped my comment would  emphasize the fact we are successfully
> serving feasts that consist of dishes that are found in a number of
> period cooking sources. I am sorry if it portrayed a 'we are better than
> you attitude'.

When I started this list I was just beginning to dabble with truly period recipes,
now thanks mainly to this list I want to do only period cooking for my future
feasts.  See the "period nazis" are winning over some converts.

Perhaps some of the attitudes that have developed are because the non-research
mavens were approached the wrong way.  Instead of saying "That falafel recipe is
totally non-period!" perhaps a different wording of "Falafel is wonderful! And if
you take out the paprika and add a little buckwheat flour it's just like it was
served in period."  (Disclaimer:  The previous conversation has no basis in
reality.  I don't know jack about period falafel.)

And, yes, I too am a little nervous when I post to this list.  Not that I think
the great cooks on here will be mean, but I hate looking like an idiot.

> In service....
>
> meadhbh

Yers,

Gunthar