SC - (Fwd) [SCA-CAID:12372] Re: Judging Cooking

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Thu Jun 5 12:10:04 PDT 1997

Here's an interesting post, looping back to some of our discussions
on "getting people educated about enjoying period foods" and "spices
and you".

Berengaria, in haste

- ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
Date:          Wed, 28 May 1997 23:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:          Edwin Hewitt <brogoose at pe.net>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <sca-caid at anthrax.ecst.csuchico.edu>
Subject:       [SCA-CAID:12372] Re: Judging Cooking

At 11:17 AM 5/28/97 -0700, you wrote: (Snipped)
>I would still wonder why it was inedible to our palates. I cannot
>think of anything I've tried that wasn't edible, once I understood
>the recipe.  Can you?  If so, what, and can I try it?  (:-)

We had a feast where the cooks used period recipes and were as
accurate as they knew how to be.  Since they are pretty good at what
they do, I can only assume that they were fairly close to accurate.
The minted rice was so strong with mint than several persons ran out
of the room after their first bite.

This suggests to me that:

a)  The recipe was not accurate, or
b)  The recipe was accurate, but unsuited for modern taste, or
c)  The recipe was accurate in quantity of spice, but the spice was of
    different potency than originally used or intended, or
d)  We ate it in a manner not intended.  Should it have been a garnish
(such
    as a horse radish or pickled ginger) rather than a dish.

Since I rather eat than prepare food, I'll leave the answer to the
experts.

Edwin
Full-time Idealist, Part-time Realist.
Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands