SC - Period Recipes

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jun 5 14:07:51 PDT 1997

> Just a thought - I can't imagine there not being something like this
> somewhere in all of period cooking.  Aluminum foil is out, but what
> else might have been used.  (My mind went straight to mexican and
> american indian cooking in corn husks and mediterranian cooking in
> grape leaves, btu I'm at a consulting job in another state and won't
> see my cookbooks again until at LEAST Sunday...)

Wrapping in leaves is good.  But WAS it done in period?  I know they had large
leafed plants (cabbages, kale) but I don't know of anything like cooking in
them.  Perhaps it was one of those things that was too Common (in both senses) to
write down.

How about the ageless practice of wrapping food in clay and letting it bake in
the coals?

> There are always things like sausage heated/cooked on a stick, spit
> roasted chicken over a fire, one-pot stews or soups over bread and
> other such creations, but it just seems to me that this couldn't have
> been a brand new idea to wrap the food in something and stick in the
> coals.  Cast Iron pots were just too heavy for some kinds of trips.  So
> what else might things have been wrapped in to cook or reheat like that?

There are some bread doughs that are easily made in camp.  Could food had been
wrapped in the bread and baked in/over the coals?

Another suggestion for a quick camp food that's easy is to take a roast a few days
before the event, slice it into stripse and put it in a zip-loc bag with red wine,
garlic, some honey, and pepper.  Freeze it and use it to help chill the cooler.
At the event take out the slightly thawed meat and grill on a rack or skewered.
Eat with rolls, cheese, fruit, etc...

It's easy, wonderful, and everyone downwind of you will either hate you or want to
be your best friend.

> Ruadh

Gunthar