SC - Period vinegar production

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jun 5 21:02:02 PDT 1997

On Wednesday, June 4, Ceridwen asked:

>	Can anyone provide me with documentation on the methods of making
>vinegar or verjuice in period? I have many references to their use, but none
>on their manufacture.

Take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my SCA Rialto Files:

vinegar-msg       (14K)  4/28/97    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com

The following excerpts are from this file:

I have misplaced some of my reference books at the moment, but vinegar
used to be a more common product for sale in England during period than
wine, in types of style of vinegar offered vs wine.

Vinegar merchants were more plrntiful than wine merchants.

Wine kept in casks, tends to go to vinegar fairly quickly. Wine imported
from Europe to england was sloshed around in the barrels, promoting the
mixing of air, which speeds the vinegar generation process.

Prior to 1800, the best known commercial vinegar producing method was
called the Orleans method, which took 3-4 months to process a barrel of
about 50 galls, but this was in still conditions on land. As the process
normally takes place only at the air/liquid surface (because of need to
get sufficient air into the liquid), thrashing the contents of the cask
around while bringing it over from France, or further by ship, speeds up
the process enormously. Bouncing it around on the back of a cart or pack
animals would help too. Later out of period processes also sped things up
by enabling more air to be put into the liquid easily.

Indeed the problem with wine in period was to stop it going off (note
Biblical references to new wine/old wine), which was not easily
accomplished without bottling, or special sealed storage jars, and the
sealant was a problem before cork was used late in period. Keeping it in
barrels is risky, especially since the science (or is that art:-) of the
time didn't understand things the way we do now.

Robin

- -------------

I just took a quick cruise around the web to see what I could find. At the
web site of Alessi, one of the larger commercial balsamic vinegar
producers, they say (at http://www.vigo.com/BALSAMIC.htm):

"Balsamic vinegar has been made for hundreds of years. It originated in the
Modena region of Italy, and until recently only those regions were
privileged to experience its delights. It is recorded that in 1046 A.D.,
Boniface, marquis of Bologna, made a gift of Balsamic Vinegar to Henry III,
the Holy Roman Emperor. Like in wine making, each family had their own
special recipe. The Balsamic Vinegar was aged up to 25 years or more, and
sometimes spiced with herbs and seasonings. "

Take this as you will - remember, though, that foods with a long history
make for great marketing.

Balsamic vinegar (or aceto balsamico, if you prefer) is most certainly not
the same thing as champagne vinegar. The latter, obviously is made from
champagne, which is allowed (or encouraged) to turn to vinegar. According
to the web site of Master Choice (http://www.masterchoice.com/vinegar.htm),
another commercial balsamic vinegar producer, the traditional production
goes like this:

"After pressing, the juices of the trebbiano and lambrusco grapes that are
typical to the Emilia-Romagna region are blended and boiled over fire, and
then poured into barrels of oak, chestnut, cherry, mulberry and ash. For
years, the juice ages, ferments and condenses naturally, gradually
transforming into vinegar. Every year, the liquid is mixed with younger
vinegars and placed in a series of smaller and smaller barrels. The vinegar
absorbs much of its aroma from the oak and its color from the chestnut.
Then after five years, the vinegar is bottled."

- - -Duncan, who recommends a dessert of fresh strawberries in balsamic vinegar
Tom Brady    tabrady at mindspring.com   SCA: Duncan MacKinnon of Tobermory
<end>