campfire recipe suggestion (was: SC - Period Recipes)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Thu Jun 5 21:20:28 PDT 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Volker AElfwine wrote:

> PS Does anyone have any suggestions of a fun, easy meal over a campfire,
> for say 3 people?  I have an event this weekend and there is no feast,
> and I am planning my meals.  Period or not, I am looking for ideas.

Some of my favorites based on a few years of campfire-cooking, in and out
of the SCA:

Pasta and cheese (see e.g. Cariadics Miscellany). Quick, easy, filling.
     Store-bought pasta might be cheating, but... A staple.

Potage from meat (Cariadocs Misc.;
     http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/soups.html#3). Great stuff.

Caboges: (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/vegetables.html#7). Quick,
     easy, etc.)

Capouns in councy (Goodman of Paris (?), Found in, e.g. Maggie Blacks
     "Medieval Cookbook"). A bit more work, but great.

Icelandic chicken (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/poultry.html#1)
     Not for cooking in camp (unless ground ovens are period?), but you
     can make then in advance and everyone can have one when you
     arrive/are fininshed setting up camp/whenever.

Bread: you can make some breads over your campfire if you have either a
     "viking style skillet" or a flat, thininsh rock. Let sourdough rise
     overnight, and pat into flat cakes (app. 1/2") before baking. Great
     tip: mix in leftover porrige.

Porrige: Mix several grains, fruits, etc. Breakfast of (viking) heroes. :-)

/UlfR

P.S. If I only could document pitcooking...

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"NT disaster recovery isn't all that difficult.  Just follow the simple
instructions that come with the Linux CD"
               -- Anthony DeBoer on ASR