SC - Period Recipes

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 08:25:00 PDT 1997

<< And perhaps I'm missing the boat but isn't the 1500's part of the time
period
 we are reconstructing?  If so, what is wrong with using New World
ingredients
 that were introduced and used during that time?

 Fekete Hollo Noemi >>

I think the main problem is with a "theme" feast.  If the feast you are
preparing is post 1500, and the cusine is one that would have had access to
the knowledge, you can probably get away with it. Consider that many things
listed on a ship manifest as cargo were "gifts" (plunder) and didn't come
over in a great quantity or with the proper education on what it was or could
be used for.

I have a fundamental disagreement with the period vs. non period veggie
anyway.  Most of the documentation we seem to use is based on cultivated
crops, rather than naturally occurring flora.

Aldyth