SC - RE: Planning a Feast

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Jun 9 10:19:29 PDT 1997

>> Question, I have had armored turnips before, but am not sure how
>> available/costly they will be for a december feast. Would it be okay to
>> substitute potatoes if the turnips turn out to be too scarce or too
>> expensive?
>>
>> Has anyone else tasted the armored turnips before? Do you think that
>> substituting potatoes would make a very big taste/texture difference?  Or,
>> would I be better off looking for a different recipe altogether?  Like an
>> herbed cheese pie or something?

I would not substitute potatoes. It would change the dish too much as
well as being blatantly out of period. I have never had a problem finding
turnips regardless of the time of year. They may be a bit more expensive,
yes. However, when compared to the cost of meat they are very reasonable.
If I have to choose between using potatoes and doing something else, I
would do something else before I would use potatoes.

Clarissa