SC - RE: Planning a Feast

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 10:41:17 PDT 1997

<< I have had armored turnips before, but am not sure how  available/costly
they will be for a december feast. >>

Turnips should be very much in season in December with resultant pricing.
Turnips are not "pricey" anyhow when compared with turnips.

<<Would it be okay to  substitute potatoes if the turnips turn out to be too
scarce or too  expensive?>>

The taste would be a world of difference. Poatos were introduced 300 yrs.
later and IMO, the resultant dish would be closer to Escalloped Potatoes.

 <<Has anyone else tasted the armored turnips before?>>

Yes as have several others on this list. The general consensis is "yummmm!!!"

<< Do you think that  substituting potatoes would make a very big
taste/texture difference?  Or,  would I be better off looking for a different
recipe altogether?  Like an
 herbed cheese pie or something? >>

The substitution of another recipe is totally your decision but it seems as
if the diversity of taste and texture you describe in your menu would be very
well served with the turnip recipe. If you were to sub perhaps you could
considder a dish of "Caboches" (Cabbages) or something similar.

Hope this helps.

Lord Ras