SC - Savory Toasted Cheese "Goo"

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Tue Jun 10 19:03:46 PDT 1997

At 04:06 PM 6/9/97 -0500, Clarissa wrote:
>L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt 6/9/97 6:40 AM
>
>>I gave your cheese goo recipes ....
>> Oddly enough, Valerie refused to taste the
>>cheese goo. It contained vegetable matter (onions), which he stoutly refuses
>>to eat, even if they are invisible, and he's made the dish himself ;^D.
>
>Whats the version that contains onions? I would like to see that recipe.
>
>Clarissa

Here's the relevant bit. Since we've done the documentation to death on this
one, this is just our version, as adapted from the many sources:

Savory Toasted Cheese--with many thanks to Master Dyfan ap Iago and the
cooks of SCA-COOKS for the "Cheese Goo" recipes, and to Lord Valerie
Killmister who  prepared this dish for Crown.
1/2 lbs Cream Cheese
1/4 lbs Brie, rind removed
2  Tbs of Butter
3 Tbs of onion finely chopped
1 Thin Slice of Ham (optional)
1 large round loaf of bread cut in half on the horizontal

   In double boiler melt 1 Tbs of the butter, Cream Cheese, Brie.  Blend
until smooth  and creamy.  Saute onions in the remaining butter, drain off
butter then add onions to melted Cheese, stir.  Spread over the 2 rounds of
the bread,  place Ham strips or (design) on top.   Place in a broiler until
Cheese is toasted 2-3 min.   Let cool till it is safe to eat (melted cheese
burns your mouth and hands).

To repeat, we used the ham strips to simulate an escarbuncle, the device of
Aethelmearc, and omited the toasting to keep the backround white (thus
color-reverse of the Aethelmearc badge). However when I make this again, I'm
going to throw in the asparagus tips mentioned in the original that I'm too
tired to recall at the moment. Asparagus and brie sound lovely. I may use
all brie for myself, too. But this balance was just right for the people
amongst us who do not like stinky cheese....truly 'savory'. BTW this was
still excellent stone cold and saved till the next day.

Enjoy this in moderantion...it's addictive.

Cheers

Aoife
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957