SC - Early 'Celtic

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 11 08:19:18 PDT 1997

The Heritage Trust came out with a little booklet called something like
"Prehistoric British Cooking."  Documentation is a little sketchy but they
talk about seaweed pudding and frumenty.  It's at home but I can bring it
in and see what's in it if you like. The recipes are mostly meat and grain
types.  I always thought maybe roasted eggs would be something to try to
figure out.  I know people ate bird eggs.  The oatmeal and leek stew sounds
good.  I love McAnn's (sp) oats as well.

When I went to England some years back, I stayed at a Welsh youth hostel
that served breakfast.  On their menu was some regional dishes and I'm
really game for anything once except liver (which I have tried).  I wanted
to try English Porridge which they had as well as laverbread.  The porridge
was great.  Even people who don't like oatmeal would like British/welsh
oatmeal..... Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the laverbread but
I think I have a recipe for it....

All good stout simple early food.....

Clare St. John