SC - corn

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Jun 12 09:19:30 PDT 1997

leslie vaughn 6/12/97 4:04 AM

>On the same line, is there any alternative to the almond milk frequently
>present in period recipes?  (Yep, another allergy)

Well, almond milk is made with water, wine or broth. Its a little sweet.
Sometimes you seive it to remove the almonds and sometimes you do not. It
would change the flavor slightly but you could just use the water, wine
or broth depending on the recipe. The almonds add a certain sweetness to
the recipe so you *might* try adding a little honey to get that back in
the dish. If the almonds are not removed, you might add breadcrumbs to
get the thickness that the ground almonds add. Mind you, I have never
tried any of this but this is where I would start.  For the custards, I
would probably use milk but not for most other things.

If we are talking substitutions, one I found that I like very much is to
substitute Apricot Nectar for wine in Pears in wine sauce. (I do this for
folks who cannot have alcohol).

Clarissa