SC - _Fabulous Feasts_

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 13 23:05:25 PDT 1997

>Note to Lord Ras:  I did try (just out of twisted, morbid curiosity)
>the recipe for "Fruytes Ryal Rice: Artichokes in Blueberry Rice"...it
>was GHASTLY, so your comment cheered me up immensely - maybe it's not
>me, maybe it's the recipe itself!!

That recipe sent me searching for our copy of _Fabulous Feasts_, but
Elizabeth seems to have burned it when I wasn't looking--at least, it isn't
in any of the obvious places.

I do not think I have found any recipes using blueberries in the medieval
corpus. I gather that our blueberry is New World, but has old world
relatives. Artichokes were apparently bred out of cardoons sometime in the
Middle Ages, but it sounds from the reference in C. Anne Wilson as though
they don't come into English cooking until the sixteenth or seventeenth
century. The whole thing sounds wildly implausible--does she say anything
about when or where it is supposed to be from? Does anyone know a recipe
that could have been interpreted that way?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/