SC - Feast Themes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 17 22:17:41 PDT 1997

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 Uduido at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Hasselets (Dried fruit srung on a string, dipped in batter, and deep fried) .
> > These look like a pile of guts when finished. Dominus :-) Adamantius probably
> > has the souce if you grovel nicely since mine is lost in the clutter of the
> > current Will's preparation.
>
> IIRC the recipe is in the "Two 15th Century Cookbooks".
>
> /UlfR

Could be. The recipe I had mentioned to Lord Ras is in The Forme of
Cury:

195. 	Hastlets of fruyt. Take fyges iquarterid, raysouns hool, dates and
almaundes hoole, and ryne hem on a spyt and roost hem; and endore hem as
pomme dorryes, and serue hem forth.

I had mentioned to Lord Ras, when he spoke of his plans for the giblets
of the emu he is roasting for Will's Revenge, that he is effectively
producing a subtler subtlety. I know of no recipes for actual hastelets
cooked as above, so I kidded him that he was using meat to simulate a
fruit dish that simulates meat.

Adamantius