SC - Feast Themes/gingerbread

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 18 08:47:01 PDT 1997

>  What would be a
> period recipe for "sturdy" gingerbread? (sans molasses)
> --Ester du Bois
> lwperkins at snip.net

The recipe that was served at one of my feasts consisted of dry bread
crumbs, honey, ginger, cinnamon, and black pepper to prove you
affluence.  It was mixed and baked at 300F for a short time (15 to 20
min I believe).  It was rich......you didn't need more than a
quarter-sized piece at most to be satisfied.  It is not light or airy in
any sence of the word.  They made a similar consistance substance in the
New Worls about the same time which they dried in the sun and used to
build houses........Adobe I think.

Lady Margritte may grace us with the exact recipe.  She makes a
WONDERFUL period gingerbread :o)

- --
In Humble Service to God and Crown;

fra nicol¢ difrancesco