SC - Sweeteners

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 20 06:53:40 PDT 1997

ysabeau wrote:

> I have recently been looking for recipes that use apple juice or
> apple juice concentrate instead of sugar. I first go the idea from a
> book with healthy toddler recipes. Does anyone have any evidence of
> apple juice being used as a sweetener or any other recipes? I have
> been having a lot of trouble substituting the apple juice into
> regular recipes because of the liquid content. Any suggestions?

This sounds a bit more like a Tibor question ;  ), but I'll have a go at
it. The only instance I've encountered where apple juice was used as a
sweetener is in the production of apple butter, which probably goes back
to the 17th century, if you can go by what's usually written on the jar
label.

On the other hand, there are several preparations of concentrated grape
juice used in Classical Roman cookery, and in both the medieval and
modern Middle East. Also a sort of molasses made from dates, if I
remember correctly. The latter I've also seen in solid form as a fudgy
block. All of these products should be available in a good Middle
Eastern grocery.

The first problem that come sto mind in considering substituting apple
juice for sugar is the liquid issue. In some cases this could be solved
by using frozen apple juice concentrate, or by boiling the juice down to
a syrup. The problem with that is that apple juice contains a whole lot
of other things than just sugar. Unless it is HIGHLY processed, it's
going to contain a certain amount of pectin, so boiling it will
eventually thicken it a good deal more than other comparable juices.
This means you run a risk of burning it.

Another problem with it is that it also contains acids and various other
chemicals which taste just fine in the form of an apple or a glass of
juice, but which are kind of unpleasant in high concentration. Kids may
not care too much for this, especially if they have had any exposure
whatever to the more traditional modern sweeteners. One possible
solution might be to look into using fructose or maltose as a sweetener;
both should be available at a good health food store (and the latter at
a homebrew supply shop). I suggest you avoid glucose and dextrose if you
run across them: they are of no value as sweeteners because while they
are simple sugars like maltose and fructose, they have far less effect
on the taste buds. In essence, they aren't sweet.

Then, of course, there's always honey...

Adamantius