SC - Spanish sources

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Tue Jun 24 11:15:08 PDT 1997

Clarissa asked:

>>What period sources exist for Spanish recipes? Are they available
translated into English?

I had on file a previous response to a question on this topic, which
originally came from someone else (I'd inadvertantly deleted the name of the
sender), who said:

"One place to look is Cariadoc's _Miscellany_, which contains a lot of
recipes from Arabo-Andalusian sources (as well as those from English,
French, German, and Persian sources).  Volume II of Cariadoc's
_Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks_ contains a complete
translation of the 13th-century Arabo-Andalusian cookbook.  I wrote a
T.I. article about meatless dishes from this cookbook several years ago;
it's on the Web at "http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/veggie.html".

"If you're more interested in Christian Spain, probably the best sources
are Catalan rather than "Spanish" proper: the 14th-century _Libre de
Sent Sovi_ and the late-15th or early-16th c. _Libre del Coch_.  We did
a feast in February mostly from these two sources; see the Web page
"http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/st.val.feast.html" for menu
and example recipes."