Re(2): SC - Caffeine in period

JTRbear at aol.com JTRbear at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 17:50:39 PDT 1997

<< I had a friend of mine in Meridies translate the Myan and Spanish
 recipe found in the diary of a Spanish monk who was with the Spanish
 contingent in Mexico in the mid 1550's.  The recipe is very tastey
 both in cake style and in hot form.  The pepper they used was a for
 runner of the jalipino and you use only a pinch for a cup.  I will be
 happy to post it if you want to see it.  I had it last year at the
 Pennsic A&S.  The article in the diary talkes about it being served
 for the Bishop of Toledo (I think) when he visited the monistary that
 the priest was from.

 There are also tax records for the City of Utrecht in the Netherlands
 that shows Spanish cocolate for consumption being taxed as a beverage.

 Annejke

I would love to see the recipe.  Thank you in advance.

Jean-Phillpe