SC - mustard history

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 30 21:49:28 PDT 1997

Linneah quotes an article on mustard  and asks:

>I like mustard but I don't often see it at feasts.  Was it really as
>ubiquitous as the
>above makes it sound?

 _Food and Drink in Britain_ (C. Anne Wilson) quotes figures for a
fifteenth-century English household which  in a given year used 3/4 lb
saffron, 5 lb pepper, 2 1/2 lb ginger, 3 lb cinnamon, 1 1/4 lb each of
cloves and mace, and 84 lb mustard seed.  Mustard, after all, was locally
grown and was a whole lot cheaper than spices which had to be imported from
the Orient.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook