SC - RE: Biggest feast [moderately silly]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 4 07:32:30 PDT 1997

Erin Kenny wrote:

> Elizabeth writes:
> > The first section is a list of what you need for the biggest feast anyone
> > would ever want to do--Cariadoc's rough calculation was that it amounted
> > to feeding all of Pennsic dinner and supper for two days.
>
> Hmmmm ........ nah!  I've had suicidally ambitious ideas before, but
> that's ridiculous.
>
> (Um, anyone want to help?)
> Claricia Nyetgale

Well, there's the rub, if I can borrow from some poet who hasn't been
born yet. There's this thing called delegation, y'see, management theory
being that each supervisor can effectively manage the activities of up
to seven subordinates. They in turn can manage seven others, and they'll
tell two friends, and so on, until you have a crew of however many
hundreds of cooks you'd need to pull it off. That's how such jobs are
done today.

My theory is that the modern corporate obsession with Bushido and the
samurai military structure in management is derived from the tenets of
late-period samurai, who probably learned them from the Portugeuse
(along with the idea of fighting with a weapon in each hand) who
probably got them in turn from their cooks.

So, we should all give ourselves a pat on the back and feel proud of our
contribution to both the Tokugawa Shogunate and Time-Warner!

Now, all we need are some REALLY big pots!

Adamantius