SC - Vinegar/verjuice

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 4 08:02:56 PDT 1997

Sharon L. Harrett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>         Can anyone provide me with documentation on the methods of making
> vinegar or verjuice in period? I have many references to their use, but none
> on their manufacture.
>
> Ceridwen

Would you settle for about 20 years post-period? Gervase Markham's "The
English Housewife" has a recipe for making verjuice from crabapples.

Apparently unripe grapes and the juice of green wheat were also used in
period, depending on when and where you were.

As for vinegar, I suspect that there are more surviving recipes on how
to keep your wine from turning into vinegar, rather than the other way
around...

G. Tacitus Adamantius