SC - Period Recipes

Melissa Martines melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com
Wed Jun 4 13:00:18 PDT 1997

     I just have to throw my two-cents-worth in here about period cooking
     and documentation (this is really my laurel's fault -- we
     affectionately refer to Mistress Rosemounde as a documentation nazi).

     I agree that the most important thing while feastcratting is to make
     sure that you have plenty of food and that people will enjoy it and,
     most importantly, eat it.  I think that anyone who demands to see
     documentation at feast is just plain rude and needs to get a grip.

     However . . .

     I also think SOME effort should be made to use _medieval-type_ foods.
     I don't want to go to a "feast" and get spaghetti, pizza, or
     hamburgers and hotdogs and fried potatoes. (This has happened to me at
     smaller events).  To me, that ruins the medieval ambiance we are
     trying to create.

     I don't think it's necessary to document every ingredient in every
     dish (I've seen laurels using Cheez Whiz in the kitchen) or even
     document every dish, but a medieval feast should be a feast.

     I'm not trying to offend or intimidate anyone, and I realize that
     documentation occurs at all levels -- In fact, if I had had to provide
     documentation of my first feast, all I could have said was "It's
     English!"  Now that I've been feastcratting and researching longer, I
     documented every recipe in the last feast I did (not because I had to,
     because I wanted to).

     I just don't want to be served spaghetti again.

     OK, enough of my soapbox.

     (Roz, are you listening?)

     Lady Morgan MacBride
     Shire of Glaedenfeld