SC - Period Recipes

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Jun 4 15:18:29 PDT 1997

Melissa Martines wrote:

>      I also think SOME effort should be made to use _medieval-type_ foods.
>      I don't want to go to a "feast" and get spaghetti, pizza, or
>      hamburgers and hotdogs and fried potatoes. (This has happened to me at
>      smaller events).  To me, that ruins the medieval ambiance we are
>      trying to create.

I fully agree.  As a feastocrat myself, I try to at least present the
ambiance of medieval feast.  I try not to use blatantly non-period items
(modern corn is one that comes to mind). When I do  period dishes, I may
make them secondary to the main course (usually roast beast of one kind
or another).  I have also been very successful doing complete period
feasts with very few crumbs left when it was all said and done.  I think
balance is important.

>      I don't think it's necessary to document every ingredient in every
>      dish (I've seen laurels using Cheez Whiz in the kitchen) or even
>      document every dish, but a medieval feast should be a feast.

True again (tho I'd hope someone would shoot me if I was ever caught
with Cheez Whiz in the kitchen---big grin).  There is a wonderful cook
in my barony that has really knocked out wonderful 100% period feasts.
Her feasts could be entered into Arts & Sciences (think about that one
Clarissa!!!!).

>      I'm not trying to offend or intimidate anyone, and I realize that
>      documentation occurs at all levels -- In fact, if I had had to provide
>      documentation of my first feast, all I could have said was "It's
>      English!"  Now that I've been feastcratting and researching longer, I
>      documented every recipe in the last feast I did (not because I had to,
>      because I wanted to).

No offense taken.  And i think it is great that you documented your
feast.  And the fact you wanted to says a lot.

>      I just don't want to be served spaghetti again.

Well...spaghetti is OK provided it isn't served with marinara sauce and
meatballs--grin. (After all, it is rumored Marco Polo brought some back
from China--grin)

Meadhbh