SC - Vinegar/verjuice

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jun 4 19:45:16 PDT 1997

Sharon L. Harrett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>         Can anyone provide me with documentation on the methods of
> making vinegar or verjuice in period? I have many references to
> their use, but none on their manufacture.
>
> Ceridwen

Greetings to m'Lady Ceridwen,

One of my cookbooks "Renaissance Recipes (Painters and Food)" by
Gillian Riley, pub: Pomegranate Artbooks, ISBN: 1-56640-577-7 ,
96 pages, hbk.  gives some information on verjuice and several recipes
use it.

[Partial quote] Verjuice: in Italian cooking is, in its simplest
form, the juice of sour green grapes, used as a condiment or cooking
medium.  It can be boiled and fermented, and used throughout the
year.  The equivalent in English cookery ... sour gooseberries, plums,
or acidic herbs such as sorrel.  ...

The book suggests that bitter orange (found in the Spanish foods section
of a large supermarket) could be used as a substitute.  One
recipe that was given was Chicken with Verjuice, "Amorsa"

1 medium chicken, jointed
4 oz. pancetta
1 lb. sour green grapes, gooseberries, or unripe green plums
fresh mint and parsley, chopped
salt, freshly ground black pepper, saffron to taste

Fry the chicken joints and diced bacon in olive oil until golden and
half cooked.  Crush the grapes and strain through a sieve into a
casserole.  Add the chicken; stir well to dissolve the brown bits and
simmer until tender.  Season with black pepper and saffron, check
salt (pancetta may provide enough).  Serve sprinkled with chopped
herbs.

Alas, although this lovely book does have a bibliography, specific
references are not given for each recipe.

I am,
Vinchenzio Martinus di Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

- --
Martin G. Diehl

Sig under construction
Home page not even started, PENNSIC comes^H^H^H^H^Hcame first!