SC - Re: All members

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jun 5 13:20:49 PDT 1997

   ----- Original message follows -----
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:46:00 -0500
From: mfgunter (Michael F. Gunter)
To: sca-cooks
Subject: Re: New Members
content-length: 2998

 I am not going to unsubscribe Ly Rhian at this time because I think
  there is an important point to be discussed.  I started this list as
  an avid cook who wished to share ideas with others.  I know that the
  comments were simple questions and helpful commentary because I've
  been on this list from the beginning, but someone new to this list
 may only feel it is being dominated by a few experts and their
  opinion does not count.

Gunthar, you should unsubscribe people if they want to be unsubscribed.  It
is not for you, nor I, to pass judgement on the quality of their reasons.
Even though I agree with you.

  That is not the reason I set this up.  We all need to be a little
  more careful and remember that not everyone who subscribes to the
  cooks list even wants to be perfectly period but instead wants to
  make their guests happy.

Only if she were right.  She is not.

I am an SCA Cook.  I do not cook feasts: but I do re-enactment cookery for
my own amusement.  I think this list serves me too.  I also love cooking,
and cookery, and am willing to share what I know, and in return, only ask to
learn more.  All of this is probably part of your vision.

It should surprise none that some of the more enthusiastic cooks tend to
know more, and post more.  It shouldn't surprise if they also have a periodbent: otherwise, I'd recommend rec.food.cooking for the generic cook.  This
is an SCA list.

Anybody who, when they post a recipe and are asked "is it period", can read
into this whatever they may.  That says a lot about them, and not much about
the person asking.  On an SCA Cooks list, if they cannot handle the
question, then they should not subscribe.

I did my time in quantity food service: I appreciate the professional chef,
and the amateur who imitates them at SCA events.  But, as Katerine so
voluably made clear, if you don't label your work as "Invention", it isn't
wrong to have an enthusiast ask if it is an invention or period.  In fact,
it is inarguably right.  Or, this isn't an SCA Cooks list.  It's a list for
amateur resturanteurs who dress funny on weekends.

Many private conversations have I had, with people who are "more period" in
their cookery.  Again and again I have said "It is our job not only to show
them that we are having fun this way, but that we are having *MORE* fun this
way, and that they can have more fun this way too."

If subscribers are not prepared to admit that more authentic cooks are
having fun too, they shouldn't subscribe.  Those that read the wrong message
into requests for information shouldn't display their own psychological
foibles, either.

If *I* ask for documentation, it is because you didn't say where you got
something, and I am prepared to believe that you know more about something
than I do.  Or, that you know something I do not.  If this en passant
compliment offends you, I don't know what else to say.

	Tibor

- ----- End Included Message -----

- ----- End Included Message -----

- ----- End Included Message -----