SC - All Members

Christi Redeker (Contractor) C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Thu Jun 5 07:07:53 PDT 1997

Kael wrote:

The second group are those who have only recently started to do period =
cooking, and have come here to learn as much as they can.  This group =
doesn't have extensive libraries of period cookbooks, tends not to have =
the documentation for many recipes (or if they do, its from one of the =
"standard sources"), and may have many misconceptions as to what might =
be period foods.
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- -------------------------------------
I too was going to stay out of this conversation.  I love the SCA, I =
love being able to make things (clothing and food) that might not be =
quite period (and truthfully, anything cooked in a modern kitchen is NOT =
going to be truly period, neither is cloth made in a factory or trim =
that is machine made and I have used both). I love reading and =
researching, that's why I joined.  I used to fence and now can not, I =
love cooking and helping out so I thought working in kitchens would be =
perfect.

I have felt intimidated by the list, I remember sending out a suggestion =
that I read documentation on, but I still wondered if someone out there =
would find something wrong with it.  I am not the type to feel =
intimidated often, but when I am dealing with something that people can =
only guess (most redactions) how it was made.  I mean how hot was =
something that was cooked over an open flame.  We have no distances to =
tell us how high from the flame it was so we guess.  Nowadays, we have a =
definite system of measuring that was different then. =20

Books that are available to us are not the original and we weren't =
there.  What I am saying is not to discount any persons opinions, if you =
have a question, ask, but don't make the person wonder what you meant.  =
And if you do have something to question about something, is it not =
better to talk to a person away from a group, than to dress them down in =
front of others?  If you did something wrong, wouldn't you feel more =
comfortable with this being discussed privately? =20

I once asked for some further information, privately, from someone on =
this list that I hold in high regard. I was completely ignored in my =
request, and I felt slighted.  I will never ask this person for =
information again and if I had been treated that way when I had joined =
the SCA I wouldn't be here today.  Please everyone remember that we are =
not all "experts" here and if you have something to teach, we all can =
learn from input from an outside source. =20

Sorry I ranted and raved, but I have had this discussion so many times =
with others in the society and my opinions never change.  We will not =
grow if we discourage, instead of encourage.  Otherwise know to my =
friends as the  "Talk to others as you would have them talk to you" =
speech.

Murkial